Sunday, December 13, 2009

Terribly sad news about Gwen Frostic's shop in Benzonia, Michigan...

... I was deeply saddened by this news, quoted directly from Gwen Frostic's website -
November 26, 2009
Dear Friends of Gwen Frostic:
I am very sad to tell you that Gwen Frostic Prints/Presscraft Papers was closed to the public by Honor State Bank on October 26, 2009.    The bank kept luring us to believe that we could reopen and fill your holiday orders.  Now the bank has changed their mind and will not let us go back into Gwen's building.   We have lost hope of filling all of these orders.  We are so sorry and will keep your phone numbers so we can contact you in the future if we are successful in getting out of the bank's grasp.
Again, we are very sorry for any inconvenience.  This is such a sad time for all of us.  Keep the faith and have a blessed Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!  May God bless you!  

 Pam Lorenz and Gwen Frostic staff.

My sister and I spent many happy summer in Gwen's shop, I can remember the stacks and stacks of papers and books. The amazing smell and the overwhelmingly nature-themed design (I say this because I loved it, not because I thought it was too "outdoorsy") were part of the charm the store held for me. I anticipated our yearly visit, and even though the vacation house we stayed in is long gone, I thought Gwen's shop would be around for a long time.

I was wrong, folks.

Apparently, Gwen's amazing style seems to be disappearing, fading from the wonderful earth she was so inspired by. I cannot sit by and let her shop be stripped from existence as if it never were, it meant too much to me - and I'm sure many others. It shouldn't just be a memory to the privileged few who got that chance to meet her before she died. Legacies like hers should be dutifully preserved, so that we may not lose such a genius to the ravages of time. In this digital age, Gwen Frostic's words and images could be shared by all. Please help my sister and me realize this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment